Tuesday, October 9, 2007

THE PLAN

Here's the plan:
Myself, John Herrigel and Jordi St.John move aboard "Audax", a 1989 Endeavour 38 center cockpit cruising sloop which John has recently purchased. On or about November 5th (conditions permitting) we shove off to journey South for the winter. Planned destinations include, but are not limited to: The Bahamas, Turks/Caicos, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, St.Thomas USVI, St.John USVI, Tortola BVI, St.Maarten, St.Barth, Antigua... you get the idea. I'd like to try to do some racing in my free time. Miami Race Week, Key West Race Week, Heineken Week, Classics Week, The Bucket... we'll see. If we are all still alive with all our limbs, and haven't killed each other or the vessel, God willing we will sail back to Maine for mid-May '08. Stay tuned.

Why? Cuz. Cuz I can. I'm single (recently divorced), no kids, no debt, I love sailing, I love the Caribbean, and I love yacht racing. I love adventure. In 1994, I packed up everything I had that would fit in or on my 1984 VW GTI Rabbit, and drove from Maine to Salt Lake City, Utah to "Ski Bum" at Snowbird. I will NEVER forget that feeling of hitting the highway and heading West to..... the unknown. New places, people.... experiences. FREEDOM. Like Captain America (Peter Fonda) in Easy Rider when he throws his watch on the ground, right before he and Billy the Kid (Dennis Hopper) hit the road on their choppers headed for Mardi Gras. I gotta get me some more of that.

Let's face the facts: You're born, then you die. In between, you are confined to this planet Earth. This is a HUGE friggin' planet. I'll never see it all, but I gotta try to see SOME of it. I bet there are some really cool places and people out there. I bet there are some adventures I can get into. Stay tuned.

No comments: