Monday, November 12, 2007

Reality Strikes





Today has to be my last day at Hodgdon Yachts. (For those who may not know, this is where I have been employed as a CAD designer since June '05.)

My previous plan was to continue working at Hodgdon up through Thursday 11/15, but after a heart-to-heart with Team Audax, and a brief summary of everything remaining to be done on and around Audax before departure, it doesn't add up. In order for Team Audax to accomplish everything we need to depart on or around Sunday 11/19, I need to be devoted to it FULL TIME until then. It's absolutely AMAZING how many little loose ends and random tasks come out of the woodwork when you prepare for a safe voyage such as this. Here's a PERFECT example of what I'm talking about:

Just yesterday, we snagged the propane tanks (coffee, anyone?) off the vessel to go get them filled. Not that simple. They are old and of an odd size to fit in their deck lockers. Most propane places won't touch them for liability reasons.... but I have a "hooky" at a local hardware store who will fill them for us IF I wire brush all the rust off them and Rustoleum paint them to look pseudo-new. So I gotta do that..... and I gotta take Audax's four fire extinguishers in for inspection and certification which has expired. That is just two examples of about a hundred things we need to do in the next six days..... see what I mean? Full time job.

Thanks and farewell to everyone at Hodgdon Yachts, and I hope to see you all in June.

No comments: